Happy Washington’s Birthday! …Or is it Merry Washington’s Birthday? I can never remember. Anyway. Here are some interesting trivia facts about our first President, according to our friends at The Internet.
- George Washington was 6’3″ tall, 200 pounds, and wore size 13 boots. (No word on what size boat shoes he wore. That’s pretty shoddy research, Internet.)
- George Washington lent his name to 121 post offices, 33 counties, nine colleges, and seven mountains.
- George Washington’s favorite foods included string beans with mushrooms, cream of peanut soup, and mashed sweet potatoes with coconut. That can’t possibly be right, but…OK, Internet, I guess.
- George Washington liked to breed hound dogs. One of those dogs he named Sweet Lips. …Dude. Internet. Seriously I think you’re just making this up now.
- George Washington often was incapable of saying anything other than, “voh-doh-dee-oh-doh.” …Dammit, Jim!
I think I first heard this song when I was four. Seventeen years later, I majored in international relations. Coincidence? Well, yeah – what are you, into voodoo? – but I just thought I’d mention it. I’d also like to mention that the weather in Washington, D.C., our nation’s capital, is practically spring-like, so if you need me, I’ll be frolicking on the Mall, much like Washington himself used to do. …According to the Internet.
PS: My excellent friend Ryan White over at The Wheelhouse Review has begun a haiku series celebrating our presidents. I highly recommend you check it out. Oh, and you can feel really awesome about yourself since you can say, “yeah – that ‘friend’ he references on the blog, the one who gave him that idea? Yeah, I totally know her.'”